Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Future Trashman

People always told me while I was pregnant, that when you have a child, anything you say or do can be used against you, and it's usually your child that will use it. And probably in a time or place where it is least appropriate. Fortunately, Andrew isn't talking, well...not clearly enough for anyone other than myself or Brian to understand him, at least. However, he has picked up on a few of our 'quirks'.
Here's a little background info: We have a dog named Duke. He's a perfect dog in respect to how he acts around Andrew. He's let Andrew throw things at him, poke him, punch him, sit on him, and he even lets Andrew take FOOD out of his MOUTH! Duke will have a special set of wings in heaven for the sacrifices he's made here.
However...The dog is a gluttonous beast! He steals food any time he has the chance, even if I walk out to the mailbox, he runs to the pantry to see what he can pull off the shelf. Nothing surprises us anymore when we come home from running errands. So, I wasn't at all fazed when I came home from church today to find that Duke had pulled the bag of cat food all the way into the living room and eaten the entire bag! He left the bag in the floor, apparently in a few pieces. After Andrew had his lunch and was in his crib sleeping, I went back into the living room to clean up the cat food bag. But it wasn't there!
I had noticed lately that Andrew had taken a great interest in throwing things in the trash. I consider myself a neat person, but in no way a 'fanatic' about neatness. Cleanliness, yes, neatness, not so much. I mean, I have a two-year old, toys will always be in the floor! I do like a pick-up generally uncluttered house, though. Apparently Andrew has watched me so often pick up trash and throw it away, that he took it upon himself to pick up the torn bag of cat food, carry it all the way to the trash can, and throw it away!
After a good laugh, I stood in wonder in amazement at what I had 'taught' my child, not through lectures or lessons, but through my actions. It was an eye-opening experience, because I suddenly realized that he's at the age where it's not what I tell him, but also what I show him, that makes the difference. It's more important now than ever before to show my son how to love the Lord, respect others, and learn how to be a Christian in a world that doesn't always support it!

No comments: