Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Shiny Sink

For those of you who know me, and have been to my house, you know that I am a neat freak and am almost obsessive about how my house looks. However, if you look a little harder, you'll also see that the house is teetering on the edge of going out of control! While the carpet may be vaccumed and toys put up, the floors are WAY overdue to be mopped, and the bathroom can be scary in a certain type of light. The beds are made, but if you look closer, you'll see they probably have a ncie layer of white dog hair. My refridgerator is clean on the inside, but don't you dare look in my laundry room.
This year, in order to gain a little bit of control over my house (and quite possibly my life), I'm going to take Baby Steps with the help of flylady. The FlyLady presents baby steps that you can take to keep things under control, especially when you feel like you've lost control! No more being overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done. The mess didn't just sprout up overnight while I was sleeping. It quite possibly took 3 years, so it certainly isn't going to fix itself in one day.

The first step is one I have CONQUERED! Every night before you go to bed, shine your sink. You don't have to wash the dishes, stack them on the counter. But shine your sink. It takes one very thorough cleaning, but after that, it's just a little bit of spot cleaning. Then, in the morning, you walk into your kitchen, to a clean, SHINY, empty sink. I've done this for about a week, and it really does make a difference. In the mornings, before you really and truly wake up, just the slightest little thing, like a mess in the sink, can set your mood for the whole day. Now, waking up to a shiny, spotless sink makes me feel like I've already conquered something for the day!

The other step I've mastered is to make my bed the moment I get out of it. And POOF! The bedroom looks clean, neat, and organized, just by making the bed! Just by spending 10 minutes the night before shining my sink, and 5 minutes in the morning making the bed, I have TOTAL control over two things! After working the BabySteps into your daily routine, by setting goals, little by little you add to your list of things you have under complete control. It's quite liberating!

And y'all, I really wish you could see my sink. It's something else!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny...FlyLady is a huge hit at our church...I haven't been able to motivate myself yet to shine my sink...I"m also wondering if it's even possible to do that with a husband and two sons.